Now that I’m older (and wiser), as well as interested in inserting a minimal amount of chemicals into my body, I, now in my early 30s, spend much less on beauty products that I did in my teens and 20s and I get way more compliments on my skin. My secret to achieving beauty on a budget lies right in my kitchen. There are 10 amazing beauty products in your fridge and pantry that you may not be taking full advantage of.
- Olive Oil – This is probably my number one beauty secret. A few years ago, I stopped buying expensive moisturizers and began using extra virgin olive oil on my face. At less than $3 a bottle, it’s not only economical, but it leaves my skin soft, smooth and glowing. Give it a try, a little goes a long way.
- Mayo – You’ve probably heard this one before, it’s an oldie but goody. Mayonnaise is a great deep conditioner for your hair. Apply it to freshly washed hair, throw on a shower cap and leave it in for 20 minutes, then rinse it out and voilà…soft, shiny strands.
- Eggs – This is a two for one special. Eggs not only make an excellent deep conditioning treatment for hair repair, they can also serve as a facial mask to fight oily skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – I call ACV my little miracle product. I literally use it for EVERYTHING. But since we’re talking about beauty here, let’s focus on it’s ability to work as a clarifying treatment for your hair. Use it to rinse your hair with before shampooing and you’ll find yourself with lustrous locks, full of body and a reduction in scalp itching and dandruff.
- Cucumbers – This one is also a classic. (In my Phaedra Parks voice) Everybody knows that cucumbers on the eyes reduce puffiness and dark circles.
- Oatmeal – An Oatmeal bath can be especially helpful for those who have itchy skin due to disorders such as eczema or if your skin has been damaged by sunburn. Also, an oatmeal mask can leave your face looking healthy and pimple-free.
- Brown Sugar – This tasty treat can also moonlight as a super luxurious body scrub used to exfoliate your skin, leaving it feeling soft and smooth.
- Lemon – Countless young girls who are not yet grown enough to dye their hair have opted for a lemon juice fix, leaving them with natural looking highlights. Now that we’re all grown up, who says we can’t go back to our roots?
- Avocado – Thank the Colombians for sharing their secret to beautiful hair. Add half a mashed avocado to two egg whites, apply to hair, leave on 15 minutes, then wash and condition as usual. Prepare for super-smooth hair.
- Baking Soda – Another super inexpensive household product with countless uses, baking soda can also be used to cleanse the hair. This is especially popular among those who opt for a toxic free way to wash their hair. It gently clarifies the hair of chemical buildup, leaving it light weight and shiny.
So what are you waiting for, get your butt into that kitchen and mix up a batch of beautiful!